Terms and conditions
1. Who we are and how to contact us
panel.scope.org.uk is a site operated by Scope ("We").
We are a registered charity (charity no. 208231) and a limited company in England and Wales (company no. 520866).
Our registered address is at Here East Press Centre, 14 East Bay Lane, E15 2GW
You can contact us by:
2. Use of our website
Our website is aimed at people in England and Wales; we cannot confirm that content available on our website is appropriate for use or available in other locations.
3. We can’t guarantee the accuracy of the information on our website
The content on our website is provided for general information only. We try to ensure that our website is accurate and up to date. We may sometimes make mistakes and can’t guarantee the accuracy of the information on our website or that you’ll always be able to access it. We don’t accept liability for errors or omissions or for any reliance you place on the information on our website.
4. We are not responsible for websites we link to
Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only. We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.
5. Rules about linking to our website
You may link to our website pages that are open to the general public, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it.
You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
Our website must not be framed on any other site. If you wish to link to or make any use of content on our website other than that set out above, please contact our digital team, either by post to Scope, Here East Press Centre, 14 East Bay Lane, E15 2GW, England or by email to email@example.com.
6. How you may use material on our website
We are the owner or licensee of all copyright and other intellectual property rights in our website and in the content published on it unless otherwise stated. All content is protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved. Any unauthorised use of our website’s content may infringe ours or a third party’s rights.
Unless we agree in writing, you must not use any content on our site in our website in any way, except:
- to ask about us and our services;
- to download and temporarily store one or more pages of our website for your viewing on a personal computer or terminal; or
- for private or non-commercial academic research.
If you use any material on our website for any of these purposes you:
- must not change documents or related images;
- must not use images separately from the accompanying text;
- must include our copyright and trade mark notices on all permitted copies.
If you quote our website’s content in a publication associated with your private or academic research you must include the copyright notice contained within it or, if there is none, include “© Copyright Scope. All rights reserved” and the year it was obtained from our website.
If you wish to use any material on our website in any other way, including for commercial purposes, please write to our digital team, either by post to Scope, Here East Press Centre, 14 East Bay Lane, E15 2GW, England or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. We are not responsible for viruses and other harmful material
We don’t guarantee that our website, its servers, downloadable files and emails are free from viruses or other harmful components.
You are responsible for using suitable anti-virus and firewall systems to protect your computer and equipment. We do not accept any liability for any loss or damage as a result of any infection of your computer and equipment.
You must not:
- introduce, or try to introduce, any virus, Trojans, worms, logic bombs or other contaminant to our website or any of its software or systems that is malicious or technologically harmful;
- attempt to gain unauthorised access to our website, the server on which our website is stored or any server, computer or database connected to our website;
- try to weaken or damage how our website works, whether by helping to organise, or taking part in, a denial of service attack or otherwise; or
- try to access, alter, de-compile, reverse engineer, destroy or tamper with any part of our website, its software or our systems
By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use our website will cease immediately.
8. You must keep your account details safe
Keep your username and password secure at all times and contact us by emailing email@example.com or calling 02080 364906 immediately if you have reason to believe that they may no longer be secure.
When you sign up to the Research Panel we will use your email address to send you notifications and updates. You can edit your preferences or opt out of these emails using the links in these emails, or on the My profile page.
You may close your account by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. Posting on our website
You agree to:
- only post material that complies with law in England and Wales and any other applicable law or regulation;
- ensure that contributions are accurate (where they state facts) and be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and
You agree not to:
- interfere with anybody else’s use of our website;
- use any other user's identity or a false identity to log into our website or misrepresent your identity of affiliation with any person in any way;
- post threatening or abusive material or invade another’s privacy or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;
- post any material in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence;
- post inaccurate, deceptive, defamatory, abusive, offensive, pornographic, racist, sexist, violent, obscene, discriminatory, threatening, hateful or otherwise inappropriate or illegal material, or to post material which will constitute a criminal offence or give rise to civil liability;
- post medical advice, or accept medical advice posted;
- advertise or offer to sell goods or services for any commercial purpose, make requests for money without the express written permission of Scope;
- transmit, or procure the sending of any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of solicitation; or
- post, make available or otherwise advocate any material protected by copyright, trade mark, confidentiality or other proprietary right without the express permission of the owner of the copyright, trade mark, confidential information or any other proprietary right. You acknowledge that you will be solely liable for any costs and damages resulting from any infringement.
- You acknowledge that:
Material posted on our website is not private and can be viewed by everybody who visits.
Messages between users on our website can be read by admins at any time.
Other users may be able to identify who has posted material
Please note: if information is shared that indicates children or adults at risk have been abused or exploited or are at risk of abuse or exploitation then we have a duty of care to act and pass on that information to relevant authorities.
When posting material on our website, you confirm that:
- you are the sole author of that material and it is your own original work, or otherwise that you have a licence to post it;
- you are granting us a worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free licence for commercial or non-commercial purposes to display the material in all and any media in its original format or edited, altered or combined with other works;
- you are not entitled to make any claim for payment, editorial control, use or any works derived from it;
- that these permissions may not be withdrawn and shall last forever, binding on you, your successors and assignees; and
10. User-generated content is not approved by us
Our website may include information and materials uploaded by other users of the site, including to posts to our online community and comments on our blog. This information and these materials have not been verified or approved by us. The views expressed by other users on our site do not represent our views or values. When users submit material on our website, the material is often posted automatically. We may, but are not obliged to, monitor this material and edit or remove any material we deem inappropriate, without giving reason or notice.
The use of any of our interactive features by a minor is subject to the consent of their parent or guardian. We advise parents who permit their children to use an interactive feature that it is important that they communicate with their children about their safety online. Minors who are using any interactive features should be made aware of the potential risks to them.
If you wish to complain about information and materials uploaded by other users please email email@example.com or use the Contact us page. You can also report posts on the Research forum by using the "Report post" button on the drop-down menu next to each post.
11. Our website is not for commercial or business use
Please note that we only provide our site for domestic and private use. You agree not to use our site for any commercial or business purposes, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
When a breach of this policy has occurred, we may take such action as we deem appropriate. We may:
- immediately, temporarily or permanently withdraw your right to use our website;
- immediately, temporarily or permanently remove or edit your posts or material you uploaded to our website;
- give you a warning; undertake legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of all losses and costs on an indemnity basis - including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal costs - resulting from the breach
- take any other legal action against you;
- or disclose information to law enforcement authorities.
We exclude liability for actions taken in response to breaches of this acceptable use policy. The responses described in this policy are not limited. We may take any other action we reasonably think is needed.
14. We may make changes to our website
We may update and change our website from time to time.
15. We may suspend or withdraw our website
Our website is made available free of charge. We do not guarantee that our website, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. We may suspend or withdraw or restrict the availability of all or any part of our website for operational reasons.
16. Trade marks, logos and service marks
Trade marks, logos and service marks, used on our website, whether registered or unregistered, are the property of, or licensed to, Scope. You are not permitted to use them without our approval.
18. Feedback and complaints
We welcome your comments about our website. If you find anything incorrect or not working, or you want to say anything else, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.